As the holiday season approaches, it presents a unique opportunity to spread joy and make a difference in our community. We understand the importance of giving back and the desire to make a positive impact on those around us. That’s why we have curated a comprehensive list of places to volunteer your time in Edmonton during the holiday season. Whether you have a few hours to spare or want to dedicate your holiday break to helping others, these organizations offer various volunteer opportunities to suit your schedule and interests. Take a look at our list and discover ways you can brighten someone’s day and bring a little extra cheer to those in need! Get the kids involved, as well!
1. Edmonton Food Bank: Help in sorting, packing, and distributing food to those in need during the holiday season. Learn more at Edmontonsfoodbank.com
2. The Mustard Seed: Volunteer at a homeless shelter, serving meals or assisting with various programs and activities. Learn more at TheSeed.ca
3. Christmas Bureau of Edmonton: an organization dedicated to providing food hampers and toys to families in need during the holiday season. When it comes to volunteering, the Christmas Bureau often requires assistance in several areas. These can include sorting and organizing donated toys, packing and distributing food hampers, helping with gift wrapping, or even delivering hampers to families’ homes. Additionally, they might need volunteers to assist with administrative tasks such as data entry or answering phone calls.
Learn more at ChristmasBureau.ca
4. Operation Friendship Senior Society: Spend time with seniors, engaging in activities, assisting with meals, or simply providing companionship.
5. Hope Mission: Serve meals, sort donated items, or help with other tasks at this organization dedicated to serving the homeless and impoverished.
6. Animal Rescue Organizations: Offer your time at local animal shelters or rescue groups, helping care for and socialize animals in need of a home. We love supporting AARCS (Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society! (aarcs.ca)
7. Santa’s Anonymous: Help with collecting, sorting, and distributing toys and gifts to children in Edmonton who may otherwise go without during the holiday season.
8. The Stollery Children’s Hospital: Volunteer at the hospital, helping with various activities such as reading to children or organizing events. Learn more at StolleryKids.com
9. Edmonton Public Library: Offer your time to assist with children’s programs, reading aloud, organizing holiday events, or helping with library tasks. Learn more at EPL.ca
10. Youth Empowerment & Support Services (YESS): Volunteer at this organization that supports youth experiencing homelessness by helping with meal service, providing mentorship, or assisting with various recreational programs.
11. Little Santa’s: Through Kaleo Collective’s Little Santas program, volunteers have the opportunity to make the holiday season extra special for children in need. Little Santas volunteers are involved in various ways, starting with the selection and purchase of age-appropriate gifts for children. This could involve coordinating with local businesses or sponsors, or even participating in toy drives to collect donations. Volunteers may also help with gift wrapping, ensuring that each present is beautifully presented for the children. Beyond the gift-giving aspect, Little Santas volunteers may assist in organizing and hosting holiday events or parties for the children, fostering a festive and inclusive atmosphere. These volunteers play an essential role in spreading holiday cheer and ensuring that every child experiences the magic of Christmas.
Let us know if there are any others you think should be added to the list!